Friday, February 24, 2012

Shouting from Street Corners

London is home to over eight million people, an intricate Tube and Bus system, and thousands of businesses - making it an incredibly loud place. During one of my classes, the phrase ‘seen but not heard’ was used to describe Londonites, and I dismissed this obviously erroneous phrase.

As the ‘newness’ of London has faded, I have been able to separate the white noise of London from person-manifested noise. For my purposes, traffic and machinery composes a majority of London’s white noise, while people interacting with one another constitute person-manifested noise. Making this distinction provides me the opportunity to place merit in Londonites as ‘seen but not heard’.

When shuffling the streets of London one does not run into a neighbor or the family pediatrician. Instead, you leave Point A hurriedly to arrive at Point B with no sidewalk conversations, head nodding, or passing smiles. Traveling via the Tube or Bus, one picks up a free newspaper to read or pulls out a phone to manipulate. In the couple of dozen Tube/Bus trips I've made, I have yet to hear a phone ring or vibrate, and I have learned that conversations on the Tube identify you as American. Grocery shopping consists of bagging your own groceries into your own bag and swiping your debit/credit card all with little-to-no contact with the representative behind the counter. Asking directions from individuals who are obviously British (there is a ‘British’ look) will not produce the results you desire, either. It seems as if the streets of London having a muting effect on its people. These muting streets have created a culture. Roger Scruton describes the culture in England, An Elugy saying,
“To come home [England] was to rediscover order, moderation and reality, to reassume the habits of people who muddle along in private, taking things as they come.”
Being here only a week, I have stopped asking the employees at Waitrose how they are doing, I refrain from smiling at pedestrians or street vendors, I quickly cross streets in between speeding taxis (I have yet to see a speed limit sign) even when time is in my favor, and I have started reading the Camden Chronicle on the Tube. When the Tube announces that the route I needed is closed, I no longer ask the people around me but collect myself and read a map [novel idea]. This is not to say that I am not pleasant, but I am pleasant in a manner that is consistent with the Brit's sense of reserve and individualism.

Acting as a pleasant Brit, I know that I could not be a Brit forever and have realized that I have never before placed any part of my identity in my geographic home. Now, eight days in a new country, I have a great desire to shout "I AM FROM KENTUCKY. IT’S A WONDERFUL PLACE. I AM GOING TO TALK TO YOU, AND I WANT YOU TO INVEST IN THE MOMENT WE ARE SHARING!!!" Yes, I want to know about your aunt’s rodent problem or your cousin’s fiancés’ decision to attend culinary school! 

Tell me [in English], London. Feed me, London. Smile at me, London. 

1 comment:

  1. Funny how sometimes it takes being in a foreign place to realize how much of your identity is tied up in where you're from. I have a great memory of an airplane full of Americans touching down at JFK with cheers and wild applause. Not that traveling abroad isn't great, but it sure is great to be home too (when the time comes, of course).

    ReplyDelete